Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Day in the Life...

Some of the things that happen in public schools never fail to amaze me. I am substituting and today a student, very first period of the day, completely falls off his rocker. I assigned a test for the students to take, which means a rather low key day...or so I thought. This student, we will just call him Bobby, decides that taking the test is not really what he wants to do today.

So, little Bobby takes his answer sheet, crumples it up into a ball and throws it at another student. This is where a rookie would have lost her cool and gone off on the kid. However, being a seasoned substituting vet, I knew that the best course of action would be to act like he was not doing anything out of the ordinary. Usually that works. Today, not so much.

So Bobby begins to crawl around on the floor like an animal making various animal noises and farting quite loud. He then crawls over to the teachers bookcase, retrieves a pack of balloons and begins eating them. Yes, eating them. I pull balloons out of his mouth only long enough for him to begin burping his ABCs. How graceful. I would ask him to leave and of course he wouldn't. That made sense and obviously this student was not into doing things that made sense.

Eventually after the behavior got more and more bizarre, I called in the SRO (school resource officer) and had him forcefully removed from the classroom.

So...if you know a teacher or a substitute teacher, thank him or her for going into the crazy fields every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment